With Christmas just around the corner, we're looking for some Christmas dinner inspiration! This delicious raw appetiser is just the thing for any dinner - whether something new or traditional turkey.
Spinach & Cashew-Cheddar Quiche
Serves: 6 people
This quiche keeps well in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, making it perfect to prep before the big Christmas dinner or with some of the leftovers.
For the base:
- 130g (4½oz) cashew nuts, soaked for 4–6 hours
- 150g (5½oz) almonds, soaked for 6–8 hours
- 100g (3oz) ground flaxseed
- 1 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for oiling
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
For the 'Cheddar' filling:
- 100g (3oz) pine nuts
- 100g (3oz) macadamia nuts
- 120ml (4fl oz) water
- 80ml (3fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 8 sundried tomato halves, soaked if too dry
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
For the spinach:
- 60g (2oz) spinach leaves
- To garnish (optional) basil leaves and/or micro leaves
- Prepare 6 mini (10cm/4in) loose-bottomed tartlet tins by oiling all the inside surfaces.
- Process all the base ingredients in a food processor with an S-blade. Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared tins. Using your fingers, press the dough into the bottom and up the side of each pan to create a crust.
- Transfer the tins to the dehydrator and dehydrate for 10 hours at 48°C. Remove all casings, including the bottoms, and return the crusts to the dehydrator for another 10 hours on mesh trays.
- Prepare the filling by blending all the ingredients in a blender until creamy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Roughly chop the spinach and stir it into the filling mixture.
- Divide the filling into 6 equal portions and scoop 1 portion into each of the shaped crusts. Smooth the tops slightly. Return the filled crusts to the dehydrator for another 6–8 hours.
Many of us do not have a food dehydrator! However, you can use your oven on the lowest setting (the recipe recommends 48°C but we know our oven doesn't go that low)!
You could use the microwave for this but it would mean a bit of trial and error so we recomment just using the oven!
Serve the quiche warm buy popping it into the dehydrator/oven for 2 hours before serving.
Find more seasonal recipes from Planet Organic by clicking here.