With Bake Off now in full swing we thought we'd share our favourite Waitrose bread recipe!
There's no timers or showstoppers but there is fun and some delicious food as a result!
Carrot and Walnut Soda Bread
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 250g wholemeal flour, plus extra for dusting
- 250g plain flour
- 50g porridge oats
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 25g unsalted butter, diced
- 75g walnuts, chopped
- 150g carrots, grated
- 500ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6 and dust a baking sheet with flour.
- Mix together the flours, oats, salt and bicarbonate of soda, then rub in the butter.
- Stir in the walnuts and carrots, then add the buttermilk and mix briefly with a cutlery knife to make a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a 20cm round.
- Transfer to the baking sheet, sprinkle over a little more flour and score a deep cross into the surface.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Transfer to a wire rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Serve just warm or toasted the next day.