Halloumi is a great alternative to meat in a burger - so whether you're detoxing from Christmas or love being veggie - this recipe is a must for the kitchen! Plus this recipe is quick and easy so it can easily be made after a long day at work.
Halloumi burgers with chilli jam, spinach, carrot and cucumber
Preparation time:10 minutes
Cooking time:10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 large essential Waitrose carrot, julienned or cut into matchsticks
- 75ml rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 4 burger buns
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 250g halloumi, drained and cut into 8 slices
- 4 tbsp essential Waitrose mayonnaise
- 4 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 heaped tbsp chilli jam
- ½ small cucumber, cut into ribbons (using a vegetable peeler)
- In a small bowl, mix the carrot, vinegar, salt and sugar and allow to marinate while you prepare everything else.
- Heat a frying pan and toast the buns until lightly golden; set aside. Wipe the crumbs out of the pan, add the oil and fry the halloumi slices until golden (about 1 minute on each side); remove and place on kitchen paper.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the toasted buns, then divide the fillings between them. Start with spinach on the bottom of each, then the tomato, pickled carrot, 2 slices of halloumi, chilli jam and cucumber. Put the bun tops on and serve.